2004-08-10

Mmm, Pyfoodbot

See, told you I'd post today.

Today I am planning on learning more Python. I stopped learning it last time because I thought it was too quirky. But from reading ESR rant about Python in The Art of Unix Programming so much I decided it was probably worth another go. I got mod_python working on Apache now and I added a cgi-bin to my personal folder. So that's useful. I'll go and boast to Toby at some point that my HTTP server supports Python (he knows Python - his only language apart from HTML, I believe). I'm not sure what server he has but it isn't Apache.

Tomorrow I'm driving. Should be fun. Damn chair, keeps falling apart. Also, these `shortcut keys' on Blogger are getting in the way of me using the Emacs-style editing commands as C-b (or ctrl-b) adds a bold span. Pfft, idiots. At least the `publish' command isn't linked to a standard editor command. In a sort of unrelated issue. The DOCTYPE declaration at the top of this page states that it is XHTML 1.0 Strict... but it isn't, I put it through the W3C validator. Lying scum.

So, university. I'm planning on going to `The University of Bradford' to do Computing. There are three courses I may do. Computer Science, Software Engineering, and Internet Computing. They all share the same first year so the tutors at the open day said we can choose one after we have an idea about what we do in the courses. It looks fantastic. The computers dual-boot Windows and Red Hat (not the best distro in the world - that's Debian - but it's Linux). There's one problem with the course. According to the prospectus, Java is the language used. I'm sure it's a great language but it's proprietary. Sure I can use GCJ and Kaffe to emulate the Java compiler and run-time environment, respectively but although those implementations are free, they'll always be playing catch-up to Sun's proprietary Java. Pfft, how annoying. Java has no place in a free system like mine. Maybe I'll learn Java in class to keep them happy but program all my assignments in Python or whatever I'm using at the time. Learning to hack on a proprietary system is like learning to dance while wearing a full-body cast (as ESR once wrote in his Hacking HOWTO). We'll see.

I wonder whether it would be better to do Software Eng. or 'Net Computing. I expect one will focus on developing apps to be operated locally and the other will focus on web applications. I don't know which is more exciting. Maybe I could do my year in industry at Google... *day-dreams* I think Google said it would Open-source one of its things at some point. I hope they do it soon after their IPO `silent period' is over. Mmm, I want shares in Google.

And if that previous paragraph doesn't get me free Gmail invites, nothing will ;)

Anyway, I'm going to go do something useful now like learn Python or make food... or program a robot in Python to make me food? Mmm, Pyfoodbot :D

No, Pyfoodbot, I told I was vegan! Put the goldfish back in the aquarium!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home