2004-08-11

Python, wonderful Python

It's official, after one day of coding I now love Python. It's such a fantastic language.

I implemented a very simple web application to add an email address to a file. It checks the address submitted against a very simple regexp ('holizz-@foo...com' would be valid). If it's valid it sticks it in the file. If not it politely informs the user that the email is invalid. I was thinking along the lines of making it for South Square Centre. But that is, of course, a pipe-dream. It runs some obscure www-server called Zeus which probably doesn't even support Python. If it did they'd charge us for it. It's just a nice example.

Oh, and I'm now on Part IV of The Art of Unix Programming. Just about to start on Documentation. I probably won't finish it tomorrow as I'm driving at 3:30 (they're one hour lessons, which is nice :-) and then I'm going for dinner at Fiona's with Davina.

I found out what all these .pyra files are on Blogger.com. Pyra owned Blogger... before Google 0wned Pyra, so it does still own it. Actually, I'm no closer to the truth. .py is the Python extension. Maybe .pyra is an extra magic thing. It may not even be a real Python thing. Maybe it's not Python at all... But it probably is.

So, I switched from imcom (Jabber) to irssi (IRC) as my main communications magicness recently. On Jabber I used the msn transport msn.jabbernet.dk and now I use the MSN/AIM/YM/etc transport im.bitlbee.org (port 6667, of course). In an attempt at being as annoying as possible, I use eliza.pl (Irssi script). It sets up a conversation between Chatbot::Eliza and anybody who talks to me when I'm away. Great fun.

Teehee, notice how all these posts are either early in the morning like mid-day or something or late at night, like 1am.

Woo, that's me protected against the latest buffer-overflow in libpng. I love APT :-).

Dates for your diaries:
Subday (2004-08-15) I'm going to David's (mum's brother) to see him and Mandy (his wife) and their kids - my cousins. Just for the day.
Monday (2004-08-16) is Debian's birthday. Eighth or something.
A week on Thursday (2004-08-19) is results day for me and other A-levelers.
2004-09-03 is a `talking art walk' with Mik Artistik talking you round his exhibition at South Square Gallery. Oh yeah, it's also the gallery preview. Resvere your tables at South Square Cafe ;).
2004-09-15 is Debian Sarge's stable release! Woo!

Um yeah. So bye bye. Until tomorrow... (shut up, pedants!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home