2004-12-23

I love you, Tor!

Summer won!

Last night at Rios, Summer won Tom and Summer's Most Enthusiastic Dancer Award. She dedicated part of her award to Carney, the Most Enthusiastic Smoker.

It was like a circus skills workshop last night with all the poi.

Almost as exciting as Tom and Summer's Most Enthusiastic Dancer Award ceremony, I have discovered (with the help of Slashdot) a magical service which anonymises and sort of encrypts one's communications. And the advantage of this system over all the other ones I've tries is that not only does it just work, but it just works behind a firewall. It's called Tor and it's being promoted by the EFF. It's available from Debian's main APT repository, in unstable/Sid.

I set it up in Firefox (Preferences/General/Connection Settings) as a SOCKS host (127.0.0.1 / 9050). I tested it on hostip.info and it worked! Maybe now I'll be able to use normal IRC. Stuart may like the news as he bought an MMORPG and the university blocks the specific port it uses.

I just got it working using tsocks (don't forget to set up /etc/tsocks.conf). I'm connected to irc.freenode.net (port 6667) for the first time in ages!

Woop, I got 95/100 on my SDTD lab test 2. There's one I got 3/5 for which I shall be contesting.

The question was:

1.11) What single command should I type in the UNIX terminal window in order to extract lines from a file called source.txt containing string Wed? [5p]



My answer was:
grep Wed source.txt

Niall (who got 100/100) answered:
cat source.txt | grep Wed

Niall's theory is that they wanted us to use pipes but they didn't ask for pipes. The two commands comply with the question's requirements and give identical outputs.

My little CMS is coming along. It's at the stage where I can put all the content into the database and have the Python script generate the content. I'd like to tidy up the script as it makes far too many requests to the database. But it is ready to use. I may make a PHP interface for editing the content but the Python script works very well. I'll be sure to make a backup of the database and stick it on the website.

I may see if I can improve Python-markdown. It would be useful if it actually worked. I use it because it's the only Python implementation available.

As promised, I have a picture of my beautiful coat for you. It's a bit blurry but then so are most of my pictures.

Gingerbread CPU.

It's a mecha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home