2004-12-20

FreeSBIE

I just downloaded Live Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and I am currently downloading FreeSBIE.

Italicise unread tabs in Firefox [Via].

After recieving yet another piece of spam with a Microsoft Word `.doc' attachment from some random idiot about something I know nothing about, I have decided I will ask to be unsubscribed from ubu-soc-members@bradford.ac.uk and ubu-sports-members@bradford.ac.uk. If my email titled `UNSUBSCRIBE' doesn't work then maybe I'll have to go down to the reception one day.

I want one. It would be portable too. I could take it anywhere where there's a spare monitor or TV and I'd just need some cables and a keyboard (and maybe a trackball).

This post is rather odd in its chronology. I wrote the first paragraph yesterday. Now I have both the FreeBSD LiveCDs burnt. Unfortunately, the GNU/kFreeBSD CD failed to boot. But FreeSBIE works great. It asks a couple of questions to get my locale and then it asks me if I want a virtual terminal, Fluxbox, single user mode, etc.. I chose Fluxbox, of course. It includes Firefox 1.0 with the Web Developers' Toolbar, Adblock, etc.. It has XMMS and VLC. All that stuff. And the advantage over the NetBSD 2.0 LiveCD is that X works and so do various tools.

It has loads of crap in Fluxbox like magical CPU thingies that tell you what's going on at any second. It's kind of annoying as it moves and flickers, but I'm sure there are people who like that sort of thing. Anyway, I killed all that crap now. It includes irssi and fun things like that too so I can connect to bitlbee (since Gaim doesn't appear to work). It also mounts any hard disks it finds in /mnt by their filesystem, which is interesting.

Now I'm going to reboot and have a shower.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You can review all of your subscriptions by using the Majorcool tool at http://www.mail.brad.ac.uk/ - it's a web-based frontend to the Majordomo mailing list system.

3:10 pm  
Blogger holizz said...

I did it the oldfashioned way, sending them an email with the subject `UNSUBSCRIBE' and then they replied telling me I was unsubscribing with the wrong email address (I replied through Gmail, which is where my uni mail is redirected).

I'm not sure that list thing works, Neil. It didn't find any lists that I get mail from (when I should still get informatics- and computing-related emails). But ah well.

9:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home