2004-12-13

Bootstrapping.

I mounted a CD-ROM today in the small Busybox installation on my Xbox, which now has a name---Xenia.

How to mount a CD-ROM in the MechInstaller installation:


# find-cd
Looking for CD-ROM at /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd...
# mount -r /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd /cdrom


The `#' is the prompt, don't type it. As you can see, find-cd locates the CD-ROM device for you. The -r mounts the CD-ROM as read-only (the default is read-write and this causes a few warnings but still mounts). The /cdrom is the mount point.

It was a pressed (i.e. not burnt) Dyne:Bolic CD as included with Linux Format issue 55. It's designed to run on an Xbox with a hardware modification so it has files one can run on the Xbox. Not sure how one goes about executing the xbe files (Xbox Executables).

This is, of course, progress. Now I need to boot from a CD-ROM. Now, kids, don't do this at home... unless you have MechAssault and the Emergency Linux savegame.

Haha, I was just cooking tea and I sort of burnt it and I thought it tasted like the beech-smoked tofu I sometimes have.

And that was my exciting bootstrapping for today. I made a small amount of progress. Next one must boot the CD-ROM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home