2004-12-07


Tom
although the document I put on the web is .doc, I actually prepared it
using Open Office under Linux ... and gently suggest that you view it the
same way ...? By choice, I use HTML but occasionally bow to .doc in
the interests of expediency if there is formatting involved, and I provide
paper copies. I'll bring paper copies to Friday's lecture ... I stuck it
on the web as someone had started worrying about what it was and where to
get it.
Hope this helps. Thanks for the document format info.
Deb


I'm shocked. We get taught how to use hyperlinks and `mind maps' in KSCP and Deb uses OOo on Linux? How can this be?

It surprises me that she uses the Word format if she's using OOo.

From ``B.S.H.S.1'':

BRADFORD STUDENT HEALTH CENTRE 235876. COULD YOU PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR ROOM NUMBER*PASANTE condoms 12 for only £2.99 from Savers.Never use a condom more than once


The sender is only identified as ``B.S.H.S.1'' (i.e. no number), which doesn't make me trust them. The poor grammar and two fully-capitalised sentences makes me trust them even less. I did give the doctor a form telling them I moved from Shearbridge Green to Bradford Halls yesterday (when collecting my prescription and getting my tracks looked-at). But I don't trust a text with poor grammar, adverts and no number. It would be almost as bad as giving permission for a payment via email. If they want my confirmation they can send me a text with good grammar and a number or they can call me.

What corporate America can't build: a sentence. Also amusing is that the first page stops mid-sentence and continues on the second page.

Multi-paged articles anoy me. Especially when there's only about 30 paragraphs overall. A book can be split into chapters---this makes sense. But why split an article into many pages when it's so short? I think some people like to pretend they're typesetting paper-based newspapers. It's terrible for accessibility or usability. It's very painful breaking off from a thought and moving to another page to rejoin the thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home