2004-12-06

Xbox-Linux!

Haha! I discovered my style crashes Konqueror (the KHTML rendering engine), at least it crashes on the local style (the one I uploaded seems fine). Work continues, of course, on the `Purple' style (it is available on any page of the site now. I added a simple hack to the `Classic' style to allow for a link list at the bottom of the page.

Erik discovered an interesting scriping tool for Windows' GUI: AutoHotKey.


The threat may be incurable bacterial infections we have no cure for.

URI: http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/12/05/144249.shtml?tid=14.

Great news! I discovered how to enter Unicode directly with the keyboard in X! It certainly works on my keyboard...


  1. Find the character's hex notation (i.e. the sexy white florette is U+2740).

  2. Hold down Control and Shift and type in the hex (if you let go of either Control or Shift the character will appear and you'll have to start again).

  3. Let go of Control and Shift and see your gorgeous character appear.



Now I'll have to start editing in GVim if I want pretty Unicode because vim, xterm and screen together do not make for good Unicode.

I can't see any means of entering the decimal of a character, which is annoying for me as I have the decimal of various characters in my head (i.e. quotes and dashes) for HTML decimal notation. The hex notation is useful as that's what most documents note Unicode as.

Some admin at university expected me to read Word documents:


On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:44:09 -0000, Nigel Hulley wrote:
> Please find attached a word document which gives a summary of IT
> facilities in the School. This is being sent in response to an issue
> raised in a recent staff/student liaison meeting (SSLC).

I'd like you to note that not everybody pays copious amounts of money to Microsoft so if it's not too much trouble, could you send documents in a more portable format in future? HTML and PDF are very well-supported formats, plain text is even better.

Further reading:
http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html


One of our course tutors expected me to be able to read Word crap:


On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:14:11 +0000, D Twigger wrote:
> Details of the assignment and guidance on report
> writing can be found on the KSCP web resources, available via blackboard
> or directly at http://www.comp.brad.ac.uk/intranet/modules/KSCP/
> Please include, with your report, a completed Formal Report Summary
> Sheet (available from the web resources) to summarise the individual
> contributions of group members.

Since I don't pay copious amounts of money to Microsoft I do not, fortunately, have Microsoft Word installed. Could you please make the documents available in a more portable format such as HTML, PDF or plain text.

For more information about better formats for document exchange, see:
http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html

Thank you
Tom Adams


Today I and Niall stuck a savegame image on Wendy's stick and that was put on the Xbox's hard drive. We then got MechAssault from GameStation and I now have Linux on my Xbox. Xebian's (Debian Sarge for the Xbox) proving hard to install.

I also got Resident Evil for the GameCube (the remake of the original, I believe). It's enjoyable and it was only £5 so it doesn't matter how good it is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All students and staff at the University *can* read Word documents. Word is part of the standard software package installed on practically every machine on campus: there's no need for you to pay copious amounts of money to Microsoft.

As an aside, you probably already have. What do you think your tuition fees are spent on?

11:49 am  
Blogger holizz said...

For a start, that fact that I _can_ read the documents doesn't change the fact that Word's native format is not a good one for document exchange. And I could always go to a university computer and read the files. But why would I do that when I have a perfectly good computer here? It's terribly inconvenient.

I spend copious amounts of money on Microsoft software via my tuition fees in the same way I spent copious amounts of money on traffic cones when I pay VAT (Value-Added Tax).

I don't accept Microsoft's near-monopoly and I never will. I will never stop being annoyed (and therefore inclined to send annoying/helpful emails) by being sent Word documents as attachments.

1:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home