2004-12-03

Friday Q and pot

I just read an amusing article about Halo 2 and San Andreas top watchdog group's ``most violent'' games list. In the final paragraph Gamespot steps out of the role of reporter and steps into the role of pedant. It was good though, several of the games on the year's most violent games list were released in previous years and some are yet to be released. They're all rated `M' by the ESRB so I don't know what their problem is.

Interesting. It's not a bug in Firefox that stops titles containing UTF-8 being displayed in the window manager's title bar. It's a problem that occurs in Fluxbox (0.9.9). Titles appear to display in Window Maker 0.91 but with a funky character in place of UTF-8 characters, they appar not to work in 0.80. It doesn't occur in all window managers, of course, most notably it does not occur in Metacity, GNOME's default window manager.

I wonder if there are any Linux distros that come with full UTF-8 support.

* * *

As it turns out, Computer Confluence (the KSCP course text) was shipped by the publisher without the CD-ROM that is mentioned throughout the book. This was evidently not noticed until nearly the end of the first semester as nobody has read it. I think this is very cheeky of the publisher. How can they expect anybody to buy their books (I didn't) if they don't sell them with CDs. It's like selling half a book and then expecting eager customers to pay again. It was some nice person at the on-campus Waterstones who forced the publisher to give them the CDs for free. They wanted them to pay £5 per unit.

* * *

Friday Q:

FQ TOPIC: Blogged.

FQ1: Which entry in your blog is your favorite so far and why is that?

Probably I'm right and Will's not, for no great reason. It was just fun.

FQ2: Which entry in your blog has gotten you the most attention and why do you think that is?

Probably the same one. Probably because I was complaining at somebody and he complained back, teehee.

FQ3: Which entry in your blog do you feel was overlooked and why should people have read it?

Oh, all of them. My blog could be read by 10 million people … but it's not. This is a problem we need to address.

FQ Reveal: Which entry in your blog do you think is most indicative of who you are and what makes it so?

Bah, they're all indicative of me. My infinate greatness shines through in each and every one of my posts.

* * *

Now I shall go and eat a pot meal (no, not that type of pot) and maybe some sandwiches.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yes, Computer Confluence. I never bought that book after flicking through it and finding it somewhat patronising since I knew at least 90% of the stuff in there already. The only time I needed it was for a coursework in semester 2, so I borrowed it off a friend.

9:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I happened to come across this bug(?) in fluxbox that keeps some characters from being displayed. I'm not sure it is restricted to UTF: I first noticed it usign Skype - the (tm) character came out as 'e_acute box cent' (those were actual chars). Japanese, Russian and even Polish fail to be displayed properly, meaning the issue is also present in latin languages (that use the extended set, as portuguese and german come out fine).

I can also confirm the thing with metacity - perfect output. That stated, fonts installed and so on, it has to be somewhere in the flux code. Any ideas so far? We can't even get to the developers as the flux site is currently out of order..

Do let me know if you have something. I'm at rdrs_at_mytum_dot_de
Yours, Renato

12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home