2004-12-09

Must. Have. CD-Rs.

MSN Spaces: Seven Dirty Blogs (Via)

The Most Hated Advertising Techniques (Via)

I probably need a sideblog ... maybe when I get a nice WordPress blog on my own server.


11:47 I was in the student health centre the other day and there was
an advert on the radio. ``I wonder if my widescreen TV has a
guarantee'' ``I don't think your widescreen TV has a guarantee
because your widescreen TV is two normal TVs nailed together''
11:49 Needless to say, I thought the nailing two TVs together idea was
better than the idea of buying a new widescreen


Lorum Ipsum-killer. It even does Esperanto.

I've decided (just now) that I shall test which window managers do and which do not support Unicode in titles. All other window managers simply do not display titles with Unicode in them.


  • Window Maker---Unicode appears as broken character

  • lwm---Unicode appears as blank character

  • Openbox---Unicode appears as broken character

  • Metacity---actually renders the title correctly

  • kwin---Unicode appears as broken character



The window managers tested were (most of the window managers in Debian's APT repository):

  • 9wm

  • aewm

  • aewm++

  • AfterStep

  • amaterus

  • Blackbox

  • Enlightenment

  • evilwm

  • FluxBox

  • FVWM

  • IceWM

  • Ion3

  • Larswm

  • lwm

  • Metacity

  • Openbox

  • PWM3

  • Sawfish

  • Twm

  • uwm

  • Window Maker

  • XFwm/XFce



Exciting work, no? I'm surprised only one of all of those supports Unicode in titles. Maybe I'll have to convert my everything to Unicode one day, then it may work.

Aparantly my secret Christmas name is `Scrummy Kissy-Tummy' (thanks, Neil). I have no idea why the scripter(s) of the entirely useless script decided my CPU's time was more precious than my own. I read an article about usability at some point which mentioned that it was a central point of HCI that my time is precious and the computer should do the work. The article made the example of forms that asked for one's credit card number without the dashes/hyphens---the user should be able to write the correct digits with whatever prettyness they like and the computer should strip the prettyness out.

I believe I may have discovered how one is to install Xebian.


A MechInstaller-prepared Xbox will:

[...]

and run Linux from hard diskthrough an extra menu entry in the dashboard run Linux all installation and live CDsfrom http://xbox-linux.org that have been released after August 1st 2003; at the moment, this is only Ed's Debian.

URI: http://stacywebb.biz/linux-xbox/XboxLinuxModWithouttheModChip-stacywebb.biz.html.

Very interesting. I infer from this that one can insert a Linux CD (i.e. Xebian) and install it. I recall something stressing the importance of good CD-Rs. My copied audio CDs don't play in my Xbox either... This must mean I need some CD-Rs that the Xbox likes. First I had to find a flash stick, now a nice CD-R. Then I'll be fine because I'll have Xebian (Sarge) installed and I'll be able to ssh into it or get a USB keyboard to do stuff with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home