2005-01-04

Cheap evil

Wikinews may not have a lot of stories but there are some good articles.

Man bites dog. No, really. Idiot. ``Effective form of punishment'', punishment is not effective.

Whoa, a little while after writing the above about Wikinews, I find a big link-o-rama from Slashdot on a similar subject: Wikipedia Criticised by Its Co-founder.

Today I have been playing Slune. It uses Soya 3D.

At the bottom of the README in Soya, it says ``Enjoy Soya 3D ! And stop eating meat !''.

Slune is a driving game like Driver in that you have missions. But it's rather cartoonish. You're Tux and the story is basically Tux driving around in various efforts to get AIDS drugs to people in Africa. There's Gnu who tells you what to do and where to drive. And there's Shark who is an American pharmaceuitcal bastard who tries to stop Tux. It's a pretty good game.

I'm considering doing something bad. Possibly worse than buying Halo 2 (it's okay though, I returned it...). I'm considering buying two, yes two, proprietary products. The first is Cedega (something that would allow me to play Windows games on Linux) and the second is Half-Life 2. Do you know why? My good friend Erik (whom never blogs, it would seem) showed me some videos demonstrating a mod known as JBMod (it allows one to weld objects together in Half-Life 2). He'd welded a canister of gas to a washing machine or cooker or something and it was spinning around in the air. The physics looks so good. Look at this lovely raft he welded together. Is it so wrong and evil that I want to taint my all-Free installation with this proprietary crap? I think it is.

Roughly £26 for the `bronze' package of Half Life 2 from Steam (or I could get the physical product in a real box for £30 from most stores, which I prefer the idea of---how does one return a product and get a refund from Steam?) and the minimum subscription of three months for Transgaming is £9. For all that evil it'll only cost about £40, which is less than money I accumulated from 2004-12-25-related presents.

Damn, evil is cheap. And it has good physics.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get over it.

Non-free is just that, it's proprietary, but who cares, it's not like it's Windows, which you were discussing installing, and that's worse.

10:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home