2005-01-06

Firefox sucks

I beat Slashdot. They suck, I rule.

I recall an article I read some time last year about HCI mentioning that since the back button is more commonly used than, say, the forward button it should be larger and easier to click on (possibly so that when the window is maximsed the buttons should extend to the edge of the screen and not be one pixel away from the edge (I believe this may be a limitation of Gtk, or it may not). This is assuming the window manager sticks the right-most pixel of a window at the right-most pixel of the screen when maximised, of course. Anyway, I found an interesting extension for Firefox known as MileWideBack. It basically turns the left border of the window into a back button. The author of the article (which a quick Google search does not find)Ãsuggested making the back button a little wider. But this extension could be even better as it may make that left-most row of pixels in the window useful.

The reason I was browsing for Firefox extensions was because I'd read in one of Jakob Nielson's Alertboxes (Reviving Advanced Hypertext) that Opera ``[gives] users buttons to go to a site's home page, help system, category listings, and so on'' and I wanted an extension to give me access to a page's links (I ought to add some useful links to SSQ's template). I did find some links rather useful when using the w3m interface to emacs. Specifically, pressing space would scroll down until one reached the end of the page. Pressing space once more would go to the page's next link (very commonly used in documentation generators).

Unfortunately, I found no extension that makes use of navigational links. I'd write one myself if it weren't for the fact that XUL confuses me. I could write the Javascript for it and maybe, if I copy/paste from some other extension, I may be able to get the XUL done. But I'll be damned if I know how to make an extension.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which is why, Opera rules.

It is I suppose a reasonably useful feature, I hadn't actually realised that I'd disabled it on this build of my PC, I've just re-enabled it. Obviously it only appears on sites that support it, which is only the Opera site, that I've noticed.

--Niall/Érador

9:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home