2004-08-29

Natwest and their evil tactics

I was looking into getting a Natwest student account as I heard they were offering a 5-year third-off railcard and I came across this little condition:
``- agree that your only student account will be a NatWest Bank account''
And I thought that was very interesting. Sure, I can agree to do that... I might lie though. It's okay to lie when doing otherwise would invade your free will/privacy. Unfortunately the whole privacy thing isn't possible when banks are involved.

I was searching for a Firefox extension that reads my .netrc for websites that require authentication (i.e. the webstats directory on SSQ) when I came across this blog post (some interesting related articles there), which linked to this Firefox extension, which is amazingly useful - the Web Developer's Toolbar does so many useful things. Not only will it be useful for developing but I expect it to be useful when browsing some misbehaving websites too. It can disable/invisibilise images, CSS, JavaScript, cookies. And it can show you the sizes of blocks and highlight images with no alt text, do stuff with forms, edit CSS and show the changes as you edit, validate (X)HTML, CSS, WAI. It's fantastic.

Firefox 0.9 is fantastic. I just downloaded it today (took me several hours). But it's nice and new and pretty.

I just got back from babysitting. Nice easy job... I've got plenty of web work to do tomorrow. Adding the new info to the cafe page and probably learning a lot about CSS. But fun. I may carry on with my Python implementation of xmagic - the tool I use to compile the SSQ website from a template and many XML files. I'm having a little trouble working out how to use xml.dom.minidom. It seems like your standard tree but still it's quite complicated. I'm using optparse to parse the options and a simple regular expression to get all the values that need to be inserted into the template (although a uniq(1)-like command would be useful, I may have to make my own). I haven't got to the point where I stick all the stuff into the template. That'll be after I get the XML parser working.

I bid you adiaux, until next post...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home