2004-08-22

Esperanto and gender-inspecific language

Yep, still learning Esperanto.
I found this page on Riism in Esperanto. It's all about making Esperanto non-gender-specific by using ri for li (he) and sxi (she) (Gender-neutal pronouns) and not using -in- or -icx- in words like onklo/onklino (uncle/aunt) unless you want to stress or make specific the person's gender. You can also use the ge- prefix so people who don't know Riism(o) don't get confused.

Here's the Esperanto HOWTO I'm currently reading.

It's a really good language. I'm learning all those words for words I was never taught at school like pronoun and prepositions. It's typical of many artifical languages in that it's well thought-out. Much better than those natural languages with their stupid special cases. I'd say I'm almost as good at Esperanto now as I was at German in my GCSE exams (after three years of forced studying of the language). I've only been learning it since yeterday. (What did you do to celebrate your results? I learnt Esperanto). I'm not sure if that says more about the relative easiness of the languages or about the styles of teaching used (being forced to drudge through a language versesenjoying it). I guess it'll be a mix of the two.

Oh, and for anybody who read the last paragraph of the last post, it works... but not that well, and it doesn't seem to reliably work well either.

When I watched Meet the Parents (`my father in law is a monster' or something in French - we were in France when it was showing) I was entirely bemused that Robert DeNiro would refer to the guy as a `male nurse'. I just thought `well he's not a fucking female nurse is he'. Anyway, here's the relevant Vikiopedio linkage: Gender-specific job title, which reminded me of the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home