2004-08-19

Results, woo

In AS:
I got a C in maths last year. No resits.
I... hold on, let me just run bc and check what I got last year in physics. Oh yes. I re-sat one unit of physics and I got a B, which is what I got last year.
I got an E in psychology last year. I re-sat all the papers (couldn't be bothered with the coursework) and I got a D in it.
I took sociology this year and got a U, teehee. But I got a D in the research methods (^_^) - I'm happy about that.

In A:
I got a D overall in physics. And an E overall in psychology. I thought I'd do better in physics. Like a C or something.

Physics A: 325/600 = 25 more than an E and 35 less than a C
Psychology A: 295/600 = Fuck. Five marks below a D.
Sociology AS: 87/300 = 33 marks off an E. Pathetic. I'm proud of the D in research methods.

If anybody's wondering why I didn't do ICT it's partly because it didn't occur to me at the time. But it's good I didn't take it because if it's anything like GCSE ICT then it's all about using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Publisher. You know, rubish like that.

Now I shall work out my overall UCAS points...

According the the JavaScript Tarrif Calculator on UCAS.co.uk, I got 140 points. It seems kind of low. I think I only put the ASes that I didn't take to A-level in the JavaScript thing. Let me just RTF... prospectus.
I need 240 for the course. Hmm. And 160/180 points for the foundation year. How annoying. I hope I get into the proper course, not the foundation year. It looks very boring.
In the prospectus, on the foundation year, here are the module titles:
``Maths for media'' - I'm fine with maths although it could be an okay module.
``Use of Computers'' - I'm not a fucking baby.
``Basic IT Skills'' - ``basic understanding of operating systems and enable you to perform simple data analysis'' - again, not a fucking baby.
``Introduction to program design and applications'' - I started programming in C when I was 14 for hell's sake. I know Python, XHTML, CSS, XML, Perl, C++, damn it! I don't need no introduction.

There's no good reason why the entry for this course should be based on grades. I have TWO relevant qualifications - C programming level 2 City & Guilds and a C in GCSE ICT. There were no relevant qualifications available to me at my Sixth Form (unless you count ICT, ha!). So they have no way of knowing how good I am at ANYTHING from my results. I absolutely adore psychology and I'm quite good at it and I got an E overall - no correlation! I'd have completely failed it if it wasn't for Jane teaching me all about essay-writing. She's such a fantastic teacher. She made loads of vegan food for the barbecue she had for all her student. It was good. And she tought me to speak confidently and loudly so people could hear me. I stopped trying to follow her advice after I decided talking loudly too much hurt.
They do mention that they like people to have ICT, maths or science at A. That's good. I have Physics.

Morons. I'd better get on the real course. Or I'll be very bored. Let's hope I can find something nice to do if I'm forced onto the foundation course, like contributing to an open source program. Or starting my own. That would be fun. I'd be in about £16 thousand debt if I do the course for four years (with industry placement) and £20 thousand if I do the foundation year too. And that's just to the Student Loans Company. I think I'd rather be in £16 than £20. Maybe I'll skip the year in industry if I'm forced onto the crap year.

Anyway, I'd better post this now before I die of hunger.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! Tom! I'd expect you to get all straight A's ;)
Mhrum, how could you =P

Na, we don't evean use that rating, so I'm not sure how good your'e scores are...

a = 1
while a > 0:
print 'spam'*5

12:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home