2004-08-14

Tcl

Yesterday I learnt the most basic syntax of Tcl. It's just a shell scripting language as far as I can tell. But I shall continue, probably with the `Tcl for Web Nerds' tutorial. But I'll have to get my server working first as I downloaded it and the pages are suffixed `apd' and w3m-el just opens them in a standard Emacs buffer for editing. So I'll symlink to them on my server and it'll get the Content-type header so it'll interpret them as HTML. But My server's a bit buggered at the moment. For some reason accessing a file in a symlinked dir yeilds 403s and listing normal dirs yeilds a 403 but I can read files. Hmm. I thought it might be a problem with the directories' permissions... but it wasn't.

PySol's a nice game. I'll be sure to install it for Davina (mother) when Windows 95 finally gives up and dies. Hex a Klon is a good game. But Bits n Bytes is just confusing. Maybe it's a case where the documentation hasn't kept up with the game.

Davina's Win95 nearly died once. But as soon as I set up the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first (to demo Knopix) it started working again. And then a few weeks later the `OS' suddently decided it didn't like the CD-ROM booting first. Very strange. But then it is but a poor kludge of an `OS'.

So anyway. Today I'm going to South Square Cafe. So I'll probably go and see the person at the shop today as it's only open on Saturdays during the holidays. I'll take some pictures probably and see what they want on their page (if they want one) and maybe they have their own website. We'll see if Amanda's in (SSQ Cafe's manager/owner sort of person) and talk to her about the cafe page.

Oh yeah, I finished The Art of Unix Programming yesterday. It's a really good book. I recommend it to anybody interested in the culture and programming practices of Unix (which is defined in the book as including the original UNIX, derrivatives and clones - GNU, Linux, *BSD, System V, etc).
I also recommend The Unix Koans of Master Foo (aka Rootless Root) to everybody. Read it, it's funny and it only takes a few minutes.

Next post: you can expect lots of action when Holizz jumps in her Eva and blogs more about Tcl/Tk and maybe a bit of Pygame. And of course, expect more fan-service ;). Tune in next post for `The Value of a Blog is...'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home