2004-08-17

The Development of the RTS Engine

I started the afternoon by programming. I made a very simple wanna-be RTS engine. So far you click a person (Link from my `Zelda' `game') and they move to where you click next. I'll probably add path-finding later. It just zwoops over immediately. I figure rather than writing a complicated thing to make it walk in a straight line I'll write a complicated thing later to make it walk around things. Next on the list is turning the units into objects. So we can have more of them (as many as I need). Should be good. So tomorrow I'm learning about OO in Python, and then I might implement the unit as an object if I get time. The grand plan is to make a module spcifically for RTS games. The ultimate in seperating mechanism from policy. Of course I'll create a simple RTS game to go with the module.

I got FreeCiv working. I never really paid too much attention to it before. I thought I needed a server but I didn't realise there was civserver. Anyway, I just spent several centuaries playing on my own as I set aifill in the server to 1. I thought that would give me one AI opponent but it means 1 players total, one of which will be AI if there isn't a human. So I'll set that to 2 next time. Or maybe 3.

I saw Nathelie... tonight. Very very good film. French, too.

Poor `Chris Ward'. I said I'd do his page on SSQ. I sort of procrastinated. Tomorrow... probably. I'm driving too. On a dual carriage-way :(.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home