2004-10-02

7am

My last blog post was... Thursday AM. Oh course.

So, we had another Formal Foundations lecture and then Software Development (Tools and Design) in which we actually started Java. System.out.println? Stupid!

Then later on I went to the LGBT meeting with Jen, who is a friend of Will. Then we went to the bar in the Courtyard at the Student Union. I was going to my ex-local (the Blue Boar) so I had to go but Jen went to some place with LGBT people afterwards. Owen was at the Blue Boar. As it turns out, about half of the `young' (as to not be offensive, the operational definition of young shall be those who spend most of the night in the pool room ;) people at the pub shall be in Manchester on Wednesday. Interesting. Of course I'm going to see Slipknot with Summer. Cat looked very encoureging about the whole thing, you could tell by the look of absolute horror on her face.

Friday we had introductory lectures to Foundations of HCI and Key Skills for Computing Professionals. I thought HCI looked interesting and full of psychology, but possibly slightly unpractical (especially as the language we're doing in SD(TD) doesn't seem to make it easy to do anything let alone anything remotely GUIish). Key Skills for Computing Professionals seemed to be a potentially boring course.

After that I, Will, John, Jen and Fiona went to PC World and Currys as John was looking for a laptop (he left his PC at home, poor kid).

Then I went home, got some stuff ready and went to Davina's. I picked the kids up, took them to their house and their mum came home five minutes later. So yeah, very long and strenuous job. Then I came home, watched crappy TV and went to my second babysitting job of the evening. I watched various things I've never seen before. Manson's new video, the video of Y Control, a Cradle of Filth video and Happy Tree Friends. Happy Tree Friends was good for about the first three episodes. But it was on for a half-hour block (with crappy and less crappy music videos between each episode) so I was bored of it by the end.

After that I went back to Davina's and went to bed (she was in Bathley and it was 1am). I woke up freezing to death at about 7am. So I got ready, had breakfast, watched a remade episode of Astro Boy, took the bread and flapjack Davina let me have and froze myself all the way to the bus stop. Then froze all the way home (we we we we, etc.).

I just read a very interesting review of a kitten.

Encryption for Gaim.

A nice anti-redundant Java applets article: Web Architect-Jumping Through Java.

Hmm, it's 11am and I need to shower and eat. Tata.

P.S. This is how they teach Emacs: ``Now you should create a new file by clicking on the Files menu and selecting the Open File... item.''
If you can, see the page here (it may be only available for those who connect via the campus network).

I learnt without the aid of a mouse. I pity the poor users who will learn things from the SDTD course. Or any courses. One of the recommended books for the course is `Red Hat Linux'. Crazy! They ought to read The Art of Unix Programming. Great book with much practical advice and is just excellent in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home