2004-10-07

Botcott the blood-letting people!

Software patents are a threat to innovation. Fantastic article.

It's a classic but it's still funny: Ed is the standard text editor.

I went to the Fair Trade Cafe yesterday with Davina and today with Will. They do good food. It's now my favourite cafe in Bradford City Centre and my second favourite in Bradford (yes, I am referring to South Square Cafe).

Hmm. I think I should try and put some weight on at some point. Summer's always said I was thin, and my BMI is low (18 if you're interested). The BMI is the one where they compare your weight and height and get some random number - basically I'm tall and thin, comparatively. I don't know how to put weight on though. I eat like three times or more every day yet I'm still thin. And sometimes I feel kind of feint. Maybe it's some vitamin deficiency. Maybe I'll talk to some random doctor at the health centre one day. I should probably get my cholesterol checked too. Davina has high cholesterol for no apparent reason.

I got an email from the BURPS secretary about some blood donation thing in the Basement (I think it's in the Student Union, but I have no idea where). So anyway, disregarding the fact that blood donation is probably outside of the scope of a role playing society, the blood donor people annoy me. I've never got on with them in a way. Back when I was at TGS there was a poster saying `Anybody with a heart can give blood', which is plainly wrong. I always thought of people with AIDS. But of course now I'm the anybody with a heart who can't give blood. You can't have a tattoo or piercing any less than 12 months before giving blood. Why? I can think of hundreds of things more likely to make your blood worthless to the blood sucking bastards (yes, the ones who put needles in your arm and take a pint of your blood). I don't believe they mentioned suspension on the form. Okay, so class it as a form of piercing - there's still scarification, falling over and cutting yourself. I'd say the vast majority of piercing and tattoo studios are very clean. Maybe if you went to a little place where they didn't have a license where the piercer uses needles twice. But not when you go to a bright place with licenses and new needles and stuff like that. Speaking of health and safety, there are Ikea bins in the kitchen that are labelled as `sharps bins' (i.e. broken glass, needles, etc). They don't even have tops on the bins! How useful is that? My piercer has a better bin and it probably didn't cost as much. Pro Body has a big tub with a lid on and a small hole to put the used needles in in the top. And Davina pointed out that the plug socket being less than a metre away from the taps (it's directly above the draining board) is probably illegal.

And now, on a less ranty note, I've been playing with window managers today. First I tried out 9wm (a clone of 8½, Plan 9's window manager). Not bad. And then I tried lwm (based on 9wm). And I'm stil using lwm. It's not bad but I may switch back to fluxbox after I reboot (I can't be bothered killing lwm and then starting a new fluxbox session).

Tonight I'm going to LGBT, then to my ex-local (The Blue Boar). Next week I may go to some art thing before the Blue Boar. And next month I may go to Allsorts (what happens after LGBT) and forfeit the Blue Boar. It's so annoying - all these things happening on a Thursday.

I, John and Jen went to Rios last night. I was surprised at the amount of good music they played. We stayed in the goth room all night, of course. I believe the pain in my neck is a direct result of the amount of good quality music they played last night. Summer would have loved it, they played loads of Slipknot and Korn and System and Rammstein. No Final Countdown, unfortunately. They played some Cradle of Filth at my request. But at that point I was quite tired so I just sipped my orange juice and enjoyed it. Oh yeah, I got Cradle of Filth - From the Cradle to Enslave EP with my £10 Virgin voucher. Mmm, it's nice music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home