2004-10-09

XF86Config-4

I discovered the LGBT society boycotts the blood donation people (finally - it's the National Blood Donation Service). Apparently they ask gay men if they've had anal sex in the past 12 months, but only men. Therefore, homophobic.

Here is the offending question.


Question 11

Are you a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (even if you used a condom)?


Notice the lack of time limit. If you are a man and have ever had oral or anal sex with another man even if you used a condom (which everybody else says makes things safe), you can never give blood. How rediculous. The NBS is now boycotted in my list of botcotted things.

List of boycotted things:

  • Nesles (Nesle)

  • Esso

  • Bacardi (I now know what they do wrong - they sue Cuban rum producers because Cuban rum is their IP, apparently)

  • Procter & Gamble

  • National Blood Service

  • RIAA (including its members - i.e. a lot of record labels)

  • Microsoft

  • SCO (not that they have any products or services - suing Linux-using hackers could be considered a service if you're Microsoft)

  • McDonalds



BME/Extreme Newsletter #7. Fantastic, I like the girl with the antennai. I also may get the T-shirt (``When pussy cutting is outlawed, only outlaws will cut pussy'').

Google Print have got into DRM. Example. I've read various complains. But some people don't seem to realise that `no right click' scripts can be turned off in Firefox (at least in 1.0PR).

Another interesting article on BME: Extreme Makeunder?

Hmm. Since Google is starting to look more and more evil every day, I think there should be an open source project aimed at cloning Google's search technology. It should run on a typical LAMP. Maybe there could be an organisation set up for the purpose of that, like the Wikimedia foundation, but for searching, rather than Wiki-ing. Maybe people could volunteer disk space using the GFS (Global, rather than Google, File System) or something. Searching/indexing is certainly an interesting field. Maybe I'll write a web-indexing tool using Python and MySQL.

I had a little scare this morning when I booted. My keyboard wouldn't work due to some unforseen mistake in XF86Config-4. I panicked because C-M-F1 wouldn't take me to a virtual terminal (duh). But it was all okay in the end - under the menu selectbox in KDM is an option to go to the VT. So my keyboard worked in there (as it's a VT and not X). Turns out it didn't like having a PS/2 mouse in the ServerLayout section when there wasn't one plugged in. So I got rid of it. Both my pointing devices are in USB ports now (if I'd done that before, all five buttonson my mouse would have worked - and they do now). Now I have all four buttons available on my trackball too. Anybody know about configuring some kind of scroll-wheel emulation in XFree86?

Well, I think I may play with the MySQL interface for Python today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home