2004-10-19

Bye bye Blogger...?


There was a fantastic interview with Rob Pike on Slashdot today.




I particularly liked the summary of his feelings on object orientation:





Regardless of what I think, though, OO design is the way people are taught to think about computing these days. I guess that's OK - the work does seem to get done, after all - but I wish the view was a little broader.





It seems the university is teaching object orientated programming as opposed to programming in general because it's a buzzword. They probably have Pointy-Haired Bosses making all the decisions.




Two great articles from BME: But then, what is 'normal' anyway?, Listening to your brain.




Hmm, I was sure I had a driving lesson at 10am. I waited for a while, then I went in and got my hoodie because it was cold and I waited till 10 past. I decided to call him but I don't have his number in my phone and there's no chance I could ever find his card which, I presume, is in my room.




I'd quite like driving to be over soon. Him not being here just drags it on longer. Driving sucks. I do not want to learn. Davina wants me to learn and she wants to give me her car as a graduation present. I don't plan on driving any time soon. In fact I think driving is one of the greatest contributors to the polution of this world.



In Foundation's Edge (not really a spoiler, don't worry), I believe, somebody stated that an overly irradiated planet couldn't possibly be Earth as people couldn't be stupid enough to use nuclear weapons upon themselves.




I finally stretched my septum last night. I made the hard decision of down-sizing my reverse Prince Albert piercing to my smaller ex-nipple rings. It was hurting too much. And the acrylic ring from there is now in my septum.



Now all my piercings are stretched. Hooray!




Today I've been writing a blogging system in Python. I have most of the basic things done and worked out. I just have to finish it off. I don't want to stick with Blogger as it won't let me stop the thing from automatically adding <br /> to the end of each line. And then it puts that all into one line. It's sucky if you want to read the source. And the forced newlines fucks your post up if you're using valid (X)HTML.



The config file is a Python script, teehee. No mini-languages for me (at least until it comes to storing the data). Also, Blogger's templates are big and scary and bloated. I want to create my own incredibly simple XHTML templates and then use a stylesheet to do all the prettyness. Speaking of, South Square Centre now has a `Gothic' stylesheet. Sooo many stylesheets.



The reasons for sticking with Blogger include the fact that Blogger gives me a lot of space to blog on, the only other space I have available is my uni page and it's only 500KB.



I think freedom is better. I'll just have to add a function to the blogging system to specify the maximum size I can have in my FTP thing. But I'll have no images at all and one stylesheet so my webspace should last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home