2004-10-18

Java 2 is object orientated!


Please note: The Plain English Campaign Crystal Mark does not apply to this post.




I revaped the script I have called by KPPP (no, pppd doen't work for some reason) to include my hostname (i.e. maximus00.dial.brad.ac.uk) along with my IP address (i.e. 143.53.235.6) in the page I generate and then FTP up to a page on my student webspace. It's a nice script. Very useful when away from home and I need to ssh in (I know that's insecure from public PCs but I never login as root remotely).




So yeah, last night I took my fried Xbox controller apart. I think me and Will shall do some soldering one day. I found some helpful documentation on modifying an Xbox controller. Adding two USB females to an Xbox contoller, And the same again. I'm planning on using the Software Method to get Linux on my Xbox.




Here's what I plan to do:




Attach the wires of a USB male A connector to the wires of the Xbox memory card female's wires and plug the Xbox memory female into the USB of my PC via the USB male. I will then insert the memory card (which may or may not be fried) to my PC via this contraption. If I can mount the device then I shall put the data onto it. If it doesn't mount I may try a different method or get a new card.




Once I have the data on the card, I shall take that to Davina's (as that's where the Xbox is). I shall insert it into a working Xbox controller and make sure the data's there. I shall then copy it to the hard disk for safe-keeping.




I shall then take my Xbox home. I shall rent the game MechAssault as it is needed to load the `save games'. I may need to borrow somebody's TV and computer to telnet the Xbox and get the key for whatever reason I need it and then install Linux. I should then be able to turn the Xbox on and blindly select Linux from the menu and do the rest at home. I expect I shall install Xebian (Xbox-compatible Debian GNU/Linux live/installation distro) at some point later.




Davina suggested looking at Ecover as a source of good washing power/liquid. I looked at their homepage and I'm confronted with a Flash something-or-other which I do not have a plugin for. So I do a Google site-search. And I notice a theme to the URLs, so I try /english/html/ and it doesn't give me the index page or a directory listing, but a `Directory Listing Denied'. So I try index.html and I get an IIS 404 File not found page. The morons had the homepage as main.htm.




Ah yes, the LGBT society is seeing Shark Tale tonight at 8pm at Cineworld (meeting beforehand at 7:30 in the Richmond Foyer).




I posted the following in response to an article:




Personally, I couldn't care what proprietary rubbish Google may or may not make next as I use Free Software exclusively. I'd quite like to know which project from Google Labs will become open source first. Most of them, however, seem to rely on Google's massive databases and are, therefore, not likely to become open source. I'd also quite like to see their services use standards-complaiant code. They don't event have html tags in most of their pages.

P.S. to previous commenter, Julian: a new IM protocol will not stop people using MSN. When MSN changed its protocols and Kopete wouldn't work with MSN, I tried to convert people to Jabber but I only managed to coerse one of my friends into using it. (L)users don't know what's good for them. They don't see that they're being locked in.



Ah yes, I found a really cool thing the other day. The Mozilla Amazon Browser. You'll need an XUL browser such as Firefox or Mozilla. It's just an XUL-based interface to Amazon. It's cool and it seems to do the main Amazon sites (.co.uk, .com, etc.). It's a fantastic application of an XUL-based application that doesn't even have to be installed. As I've been saying, Firefox (/Mozilla) is the new Emacs (in the sense that they have both become a platform in themselves - i.e. you can run mail-readers inside Emacs and the such-like). At the moment, the majority of Firefox extensions are based upon WWW applicatons as I expect Emacs major modes will have started out as mainly for text-editing purposes. I want a NetHack interface for Firefox!




I talked to Fatima for the first time in a long time the other day. I think she's completing her A-levels and then I'm not sure. But from then on the conversation concisted of a pattern along the lines of <fatima> I'm trying to install Yahoo messenger, how do I do such-and-such? <me> No idea. I haven't talked to her since probably May or maybe before that and all she can talk to me about is her crappy computer. She just wanted me to fix her computer, basically. Nice to see you too. I certainly need a `No, I will not fix your computer' T-shirt.




And not to forget the people behind me in Software Development (Programming). Dr Rod Fretwell explained that we'd be using J2SE (a misleading name as Java is only version 1.5 at the moment). So there were people in the row behind me talking. I paraphrase:
What's the difference between Java 1 and Java 2?
Java 2 is object orientated.



These are the type of people who think:



'i like to surf the internet and chat on aim to all my friends all the time so im good with computers and im good at that microsoft wordart. mom said i should go to computer school like you!'


Teehee, I love quizzes.


You are .doc
You change from year to year, just to make things tough on your competition. Only your creator really has a handle on you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home